Laurianne's Hope

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Donating Life

Sometimes it is so hard to talk about lung cancer, without sounding like a broken record. The disease is still out there. People are still suffering from it. And there are so many people who just want to pretend it is because those suffering from the disease did something, they deserve it. How many other cancers are there where you hear people deserved it because they smoked, or drank, or had some other bad habit? None I can think of.

I am going to try to work on the sidebar. I realize it is getting really long! It might be time to create a temporary website for some of those things. I think a bookstore would be good to have also. If you haven't bought Mom's Cancer, and you or someone you love has gone through or is living with cancer, I highly recommend it! You don't have to be a sufferer of lung cancer to relate to this book.

I also want to talk a little about something else that no one really wants to think about. Organ donation. Laurianne was an organ donor. I have it marked on my license and have registered that I want to be an organ donor. My husband always says that he doesn't want this for himself and no one would want his "parts" anyway. I know that is it something scary to think about but this could be your last great gift to someone. If for some reason the doctors can not do any more for you, you could help to improve someone else's life.

I think it is important to talk about this with your loved ones. Everyone hopes to have a long and healthy life, but you never know what the future will bring. I thought I would be walking on the beach with my sister when we were in our 70's and 80's. Instead, I face the road ahead without her.

If you are interested in organ donation, please visit the national registery at http://www.donatelife.net/ and sign up! If you are unsure or have heard "bad things" about organ donation, I recommend visiting the Get The Facts page. And if you want to know how organ donation has affected others, I recommend visiting Rowan at Mamassage. She has links & posts about organ and kidney donation and some of her previous blogs talk about her experience with her daughter, Kajsa. Right now, her computer is broken, but when she is back in action, I am sure you will enjoy her blog as much as I do.

Donate Life

Lung Cancer AwarenessPosted by Lynda (Laurianne's Sister) :: 9:34 AM :: 2 people are more aware
---------------------------------------