Laurianne's Hope

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Fighting Cancer - From the Fighter's Point of View

While visiting SpiderWalk today, she meantioned a new blog she visited which talked a seven-part series about lung cancer in the St. Petersburg Times.

The writer is Barry Bradley, who lost his battle with lung cancer on February 12, 2006. I haven't read all the articles yet, but from what I have read, he has been battling cancer for just over a year. His marriage was still new - married 2 1/2 years at the time of diagnosis.

Mr. Bradley admits that he was a smoker, he drank, and used drugs as some point in his life. He states:

Before I go further, let me explain something about my life. I am not one of those unfortunate, innocent people who got this loathsome disease through no fault of their own. I have been a two-pack-a-day smoker for more than 40 of my 57 years, even though I knew better. I have broken all but one of the Ten Commandments, and even invented a few of my own.

I've gone through life at 7,000 rpm, thinking I was bulletproof. I did all the booze and the drugs (and, yes, I inhaled). In truth, I should have been dead years ago. No one deserves cancer, or any illness, but if there is one person who does, it's probably me.
I give my condolensces to his wife and family during this difficult time. And I thank Mr. Bradley for shedding some light on the difficult struggles a lung cancer sufferer has to face.

Also, please visit SpiderWalk today and read her post about her mom. Through her, you can see how lung cancer still affects those left behind, even after 11 years.

Lung Cancer AwarenessPosted by Lynda :: 9:13 AM :: 2 people are more aware
---------------------------------------